From time to time, I am going to update on my couponing adventures. This post will be about some basics to use coupons.
1) Do Not Clip coupons for things you cannot use! Unless you plan on donating or trading coupons, there is no need to clip coupons for cat food when you don't have a cat.
2)Get the paper! Either subscribe to the Wed & Sun deal, or go pick it up. You can get the Sunday paper from Dollar Tree.
3) Google online printable grocery coupons and print as many as you can use before they expire. Don't waste your paper on 10 coupons of something you won't use before they expire.
4) Know your grocery store's coupon policy! Farm Fresh will let you use a max of 20 coupons per visit, they double up to 99 cents everyday, but on Wed they double the $1 coupons. Kroger doubles up to 50 cents everyday.
5) ORGANIZE! The best way is a binder. Organize the coupons by type of product.
6) The biggest couponing secret is: MATCH YOUR COUPONS TO WHAT IS ON SALE!
Sale flyers come out on Wed & Sun. Look at what is on sale, and match the on sale items to what you have coupons for. If you have a store that will double, you can get it for free for extremely cheap!
Example: Farm Fresh has French's Spicy Brown mustard on sale for 99 cents. I have a 50 cents coupon, they will double. So my mustard is free. Colgate toothpaste is $2.50, I had a coupon for $1, they doubled it. I got a 6oz tube of toothpaste for 50 cents!
If you hate mustard and you don't like Colgate these are not good deals. But in my house, we use both of those, so they are awesome deals.
7) Sign up for every store's saver card. Frequently you get extra coupons or extra savings by having the store saver card.
8) Make Room! The whole point of couponing is buying when things are on sale to receive the maximum discount. Have a place to store your extras. Eventually the goal is to have everything you need, so there are never any last minute trips to the store paying full price for something.
9)Use the Computer! You can get special saver emails from manufacturers and stores. Frequently manufacturer's email me promo's with special coupons. Also, visit the websites for products that you like. If they do not have a coupon on the website, send them an email. Frequently, they will email or mail you a coupon (or sometimes a sample).
10) DONATE DONATE DONATE!!!
Food banks, Churches, Homeless shelters, etc all need donations!
Don't keep something because you got it free. Donate!