Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Life Of Pain ....

Every morning of my life starts the same way .... In Pain. My RA sort of "locks up" and causes my joints to swell and ache. It seems to be worse in the morning when I have done something physical the day before. If I go to a theme park, or ride my bike, or something as simple as walk the dog I wake up worse than if I had a day of nothing.

I've learned a few little things that help me like taking breaks. Something as simple as housecleaning, I have to take breaks. I run the vacuum, take a break, do the dishes, take a break, fold the laundry, take a break. It takes me forever to get anything done, but I have to do it this way.

"You don't look sick" or "You brought this on yourselfy  with your weight"
If I had a dollar every time I heard one of those, I would be rich.
RA is not caused by weight, diet, or lifestyle. Skinny people get it, kids get it, old people get it, marathon runners get it.
Rheumatoid Arthritis is an AutoImmune Disease.
My body is attacking itself. 30% of people with RA end up with another autoimmune disease such as FibroMyalgia or Lupus. 10% of people with RA end up with all 3, RA, Fibro and Lupus.

Why would I ask for this?
No, I don't think it is cool to have a disease. No, I did not create it to have an excuse.
I simply went to the doctor to find out why I was in such constant pain and why my feet and hands swell and hurt every morning.

I am so tired of people acting like I have created this, or I just want an excuse, or I am just a drama queen.
My body aches and hurts all day everyday. I did not ask for this, I do not want this.

I am really tired of people constantly "preaching" to me that I should change my diet and increase my physical activity and my fake disease would go away and I would feel better.
Trust me, If the cure for RA was to eat nothing but celery and run 5 miles a day, I WOULD DO IT!
Running is only going to make me worse, and although I like celery, it isn't the cure for RA.

So please, Have a little respect for people who have something they cannot control.
You live your life your way, and I will live mine.