Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cooking Up Frustration

I've never been one who was really into cooking. Mainly because I have always worked a job where I got off work at 5-6pm and by the time I get home, I feel like I am already behind the dinner schedule. 
When I was married to the moron, he worked nights for awhile, so I worked until 630pm, I would get home at 7pm. He would get up at 10pm, so I had time to cook. Or mostly because I was dealing with other issues, I would "Slap together" something. 
Spaghetti, hot dogs, mac n cheese, hamburger helper, etc. All of those quick and crappy foods. 

Over the past year or so, I've become more interested in what we eat, instead of just eating it. I rarely make pasta or processed foods. I personally, just want to cook mostly meats and veggies. My husband is Asian, so every meal is supposed to have rice of course. And unfortunately, too many times, I cheat and take the easy way out and make rice because its easy. Water and rice in the rice cooker, BAM. Its done. 

My issue still remains that I don't feel like I have time to cook. I feel like when I get off work at 5p, my life is in fast forward and I don't have a minute to sit down. 

Normally, my husband gets off work around 4pm, so he is home way before me. So therefor since he is home, he starts cooking. Sometimes we cook together, but mostly he cooks. I will assist and make side dishes. 

Here recently, he has been working until 8pm and not getting home until 815-820. So it has given me a chance to get dinner on the table. 
So last week I cooked somethings that I normally do like stir fry. I tried cooking pork chops a different way. 

This week I have already experimented with tilapia, shrimp and crab cakes. 

I enjoy trying new things and cooking different stuff, but I think my frustration is my husband. He wants to eat the same thing all the time, Filipino Food, steak, sushi. Pretty much that is his diet. He doesn't want to enjoy some of the crockpot recipes I came up with.
He also loves to pull this, "Thats not what I want, lets go out to eat" thing when he is on the way home. Its happened before where I have started dinner, and then have to put everything back up. 
I think the last time it happened, he realized how bad it upset me and he hasn't done it in awhile. 

I think I am going to seize this opportunity of him working late and try to cook some stuff. Maybe I will be searching around for recipes. 

Wish me luck in my culinary adventures.